Monday 22 July 2013

Staying on track

One of the tools I use with clients is the frameworks for change coaching process (FCP). It's a wonderful tool that asks questions of the individual or group in a way that helps them understand what's stopping them achieving their goals.

I wrote a blog some time ago sharing the insights gleaned from using the process when considering 'keeping on track in a downturn'. Times have changed since then and talk is now of recovery and less of recession.

I wondered what questions I might be asked to answer if I used the cards today to address "how to stay on track." This blog is the answer.

If you want to try answering the questions yourself in relation to a situation you'd like to keep on track with, before I share my thoughts, then here they are. You'll certainly get more insight if you do.
Q1: How are you, or can you, express your feelings clearly and responsibly?
Q2: How might compromising your integrity have set, or continue to be setting, you back?
Q3: How can valuing and expressing the quality of humour act as an antidote. 
Q4: What would a role model, who best demonstrates healing to you, do in the current situation.

What did you discover from your own answers to these questions? What insights arose? What action might you want to take and when?

Here's my response to the questions asked.

Q1: How are you, or can you, express your feelings clearly and responsibly?

I'm tired! After keeping on track for the last eight years and having had the busiest 6 months I've ever had I'm tired. It feels like it's been a battle to keep ahead and yet here I am. This question seems to be asking me to acknowledge how I'm feeling and act from that place rather than battle on.

Q2: How might compromising your integrity have set, or continue to be setting, you back?

Not an easy answer and one I suspect may continue off line. I know what I want to do and sometimes I perhaps allow pragmatism to persuade me of my folly and to follow the more obvious expected route. In doing so I let go of my vision.

Interestingly I had thought my answer to the first question was taking me down the route of letting go of the vision, being practical and just going for what's easy and less tiring. I realise as I type that perhaps I'm tired because I'm not allowing the vision to inspire my action.

Which means more business values, battling for businesses soul and using nature to landscape our lives - personally, organisationally, politically and economically and using the ICECAPS checklist which starts with Integrity!

Q3: How can valuing and expressing the quality of humour act as an antidote.

I think my prescription for positivity is relevant here. Laughter is a great release of tension and yes even tiredness. So I need to remember to do more of the things that I enjoy and make me laugh, and of course less of the things that don't.

Q4: What would a role model, who best demonstrates healing to you, do in the current situation.

Not an easy card to consider in a work setting. I can't help but think for me it's about applying the ICECAPS checklist I've developed to the current situation. Because whilst it's not a word I've used, yet, healing might be one outcome when living according to the checklist. Nature certainly doesn't get as sick as humans do and since the checklist is using nature as our teacher then well being will also be an outcome.

I'll let you know how I get on in a few days once the insights and learning have had time to land and bed in a little more.

The process is never lacking in insight, challenge and revelation. If you'd like to use it on a challenge you, or your team, currently are facing then please do get in contact.

Alison  Smith
Inspiring change inside and out - in procurement and business more widely
+44 (0) 7770 538159 alison@thepurchasingcoach.co.uk

Blog 22/31 in July as part of the Ultimate blog challenge.
The process, the insight, setback and mentor cards used here are from Frameworks for Change © Innerlinks - www.innerlinks.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment