Monday 24 October 2016

Day 28: 4 new habits in 28 days - the outcome

28 days ago, after watching the doctor who gave up drugs on TV, I decided there was much I could do personally to improve the flexibility, stamina and pain of my arthritic knees. Especially when the surgeon's only response had been "keep taking the pain killers until it gets so bad, and then we'll just give you two new knees."

I knew the biggest change would need to be sustaining the habits I knew supported my knees. These habits were:
  • I will consistently eat gluten free every day - achieved 25 out of 28 days (and nightshade (potatoes and tomatoes) 25/28) - even if I really really really wished it wasn't an effective habit. 
  • I will do my hip mobilisation exercises every day 24/28
  • I will drink at least 2 litres of water every day 24/28

Just for good measure I added a fourth habit:
    Today I wanted to share the outcome of achieving these habits as regularly as I have:
    • Walk up and down hill in local park - 8.45 mins to 7.09 mins - 18% reduction
    • 1.35 mile walk at home - 29.30 mins to 25.06 mins - 15% reduction
    • Movement of left knee - 35 cm to 27 cm - 23% increase in movement
    • Movement of right knee - 31cm to 24 cm - 23% increase in movement
    • Put sock on normally - yes (rather than pulling on leg of trousers to help pull the foot/leg upwards onto my knee)
    • Walking down stairs front ways on - yes (during the night and first thing in the morning I'd started to go down sides ways as my knees didn't want to bend when not warmed up)  
    How fantastic is that?
    A great reminder that setting goals and doing something every day to support them makes success much more likely.

    Bizarrely I never measured my pain level at the start of the 28 days. I think because its measured by the ability to bend my knee and walk quickly, ie I wasn't really taking much pain relief to start with (no more than a handful of times in the last 6 months). As has been proved recently the pain is also linked to eating gluten and nightshades (even if I'd like to hope otherwise) - so no gluten and no nightshades equals no pain!

    I've written a blog sharing the insights from doing something different everyday because they've been huge. Other blogs I've written along the way have included finding the inspirationvision and goal setting, setting targetsdoing things differentlywaveringfinding supportcommitment, the danger of making assumptionsmeasuring progressslaying the old habits and thoughts and, by use of the Frameworks for Change Coaching Process I use in coaching, being invited to be less perfect, and to be kinder to myself. I've also explored the situation using another coaching tool, soul collage cards, too - one using the interpretation of cards when I developed themand one looking at them with fresh eyes

    If you do what you've always done you'll get the same result - change is where the magic happens - what will you do differently today?

    Alison Smith
    The Purchasing Coach
    Inspiring change - inside and out

    Hypertext links in the text above link to previous blogs written on the subject.

    #28daychallenge

    2 comments:

    1. Inspiring as ever. I haven't read all your entries for the 28 days, but a lot and am looking forward to the entry on you experiences following the "try something new".

      I'm so pleased the effects have been positive on the knees too!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. thanks Sue - I've just written the insights from "trying something new" blog :-) http://thepurchasingcoach.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/are-you-on-automatic-pilot.html

        Delete